Programs > Brochure
External: Alliance for Global Education - The City, the River, the Sacred
Varanasi, India (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||Alliance for Global Education|
|Restrictions:||BC applicants only|
|Language of Instruction:||English||Minimum Language Requirement:||None|
Glossary entry for program parameter 10009Program Type:
|Approved External Program|
Study Abroad in Varanasi with the Alliance:
The City, the River, the Sacred
The ancient city of Varanasi, arguably the oldest continuously inhabited city in the world, serves as an important holy site for Hindu, Muslim, and Buddhist communities alike. Today, this dense urban center is defined by its close symbiotic relationship with the Ganges River, which can be simultaneously understood as pure and polluted. Artistic and artisanal traditions thrive in Varanasi, known for its silk-weaving and pottery, as well as generations of mastery in classical Indian music forms.
- Explore the intersections between religious practice, urban studies, and environmental issues through 15 credits of coursework.
- Learn Hindi or Urdu—and use your language skills on a daily basis as you move about the city.
- Study the city’s rich traditions—yoga, a traditional Indian instrument or dance form, or artisanal crafts—under a guru, or master teacher.
- Challenge yourself by living in a city that bombards the senses with new sights, sounds, and smells, and that requires you to rethink much of what you might take for granted.
- Travel with experienced resident staff to diverse destinations in North India including stops in Delhi, Kolkata, Darjeeling, and the Himalayan foothills.
Take the Next Step
- Visit our website for more information about The City, the River, the Sacred program, including course syllabi, housing arrangements, and co-curricular activities.
- Contact your Student Services Manager at 800-858-0229 or http://firstname.lastname@example.org
- Apply now! Consider submitting an application for one of the Alliance's need-based scholarships at the same time as you apply for your study abroad program.